Thursday, May 03, 2007

Palmer Road Race, Mass. 4/29/07

[A two-race weekend, if you didn't read Maria's Sturbridge report yet, scroll down and read that first! —Liz]

This course had more climbing and was a little longer than Sturbridge. Two 20 mile loops with a slightly uphill finish.

Nancy came to the race, so there were 2 of us in Red and Black. So great to have a teammate in the field.

The first lap was uneventful. We kept a steady pace and the pack stayed together.

The second lap was more fun. Nancy put in some wicked attacks to wear out the rest of the field. Then a women put in another attack. I jumped on her wheel and tried to work with her. The field caught us though. I knew we wouldn't get away, but hadn't been going very fast during any other part of this race, so it was good to get the legs moving before the sprint.

We did the last turn and Nancy was trying to keep me from getting boxed in. She was moving me toward the front when suddenly she had no legs left. I went around her and snuck up the right side trying to get a better position. It seemed like I was in the middle of the pack when the sprinting started. I was frustrated by my positioning, but put my head down and charged. I got third, close to second, but a top 3 nonetheless. How did I pull that off ? 2 days of no wheels to draft off at the finish, yet 2 of my best finishes. Huh?

As NYC women, we did well. There were 4 of us from 4 different NY teams in the top 10. I got 3rd, Ashley from Radical got 4th, Kendall from Razorfish got 5th and Martha from Metro got 9th. Nancy came in close behind at 11.

Martha and I celebrated with egg sandwiches at a local bakery before heading back to the city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home